A SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN OF AMUWO-ODOFIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT, COMRADE AYODELE ADEWALE AT THE 2014 PRELIMINARY SPELLING BEE COMPETITION, ON FEBRUARY THE 19TH , 2014, AT THE COUNCIL SECRETARIAT, 41 ROAD FESTAC TOWN, LAGOS
A SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN OF AMUWO-ODOFIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT, COMRADE AYODELE ADEWALE AT THE 2014 PRELIMINARY SPELLING BEE COMPETITION, ON FEBRUARY THE 19TH , 2014, AT THE COUNCIL SECRETARIAT, 41 ROAD FESTAC TOWN, LAGOS.
It is with profound honour, I welcome everyone to yet another edition of spelling bee competition amongst our students.
I am well pleased to tell all and sundry that education is a catalyst and vehicle of development in any society.
Parents and guardians must endeavour to encourage reading culture among their wards as this will go a long way in moulding them not only to national, but international standard.
Chidera Amakor did us proud in 2009 by emerging the overall winner in the Primary School category of the Spelling Bee Competition.
Her first place position resulted into the award of a trophy and cash gifts of huge amounts of money at the State Level and a One Day Chairmanship seat at Amuwo Odofin Local Government.
She was also awarded scholarship with a monthly stipend that was the envy of her peers in the Local Government.
Our aim in this year’s event is to again challenge our pupils and students in the Primary and Secondary Schools to ride and indeed beat the record that was set by Chidera Amakor by winning the Primary and Secondary categories.
My Administration has invested a lot by providing a conducive environment in our schools so as to facilitate positive and better results. We have done the following, namely -
- Distribution of 640,000 notebooks in phases, 7,000 school bags, 250 life jackets to our pupils at the riverine, 13,003 free mathematical sets, 2,550 free JAMB forms and 2,000 GCE forms had been distributed to students since inception of this administration.
- Additional Tutorials was organized for beneficiaries of the UTME forms
- Sponsored Spelling Bee Competition since its inception
- Sponsored some primary school pupils on excursion trips to Ghana, Ekiti, Osun and Ondo State.
- Sponsored 2012 SUBEB Annual Merit Award.
- Several millions of naira was given as financial supports to students within the local government.
- Severally sponsored pupils to New Era Youth Camp (NEYOCA) in the year 2011, 2012 & 2013, where our pupils did us proud by wining several awards.
- Held periodic Interactive Sessions with the Teaching & Non-Teaching Staff of the LG for improved performance.
- Organized Training Sessions for all the Head Teachers in our Public Primary Schools.
- Co-sponsored the 2012 Speaker’s Cup.
- Co-sponsored Global Reading Festival.
- Hosted a meeting of all 20 Educational Secretaries in Lagos State in the year 2013.
- Supported the Meijestin Youth Essay competition since 2010 till date
- Sent students to Summer Children Clinic at FHA Lawn Tennis Club, Festac Town.
- Purchased Garden tools to all Public Primary Schools in the LG.
- Regular payment for Head Teachers, Assistant Head Teachers & Non- Teaching Staff
- Held Workshop/Training for 78 newly posted corps members to the Local Government that are presently teaching in our schools and also at the coastal communities
- Corps members teaching at the upland and riverine schools are paid monthly stipends of N35,000 and N50,000 respectively
- Constructed a new block of six classrooms at RCM School, Sagbokoji, and LA Primary School at Igbologun, two of our coastal communities.
- Construction of 1,500 desks and chairs made of high quality mahogany woods to all primary schools.
- Got a support from Senator Ganiyu Olarewanju Solomon to furnish the computer center at Festac Primary School 7th avenue, with 60 wooden computer tables & chairs, 120KVA Mikano Generator and 60 sets of desktop computers with accessories.
- Renovated all the 22 primary schools in the Local Government.
- Renovated the Library at Festac Primary School, 7th Avenue, Festac Town.
- Entered into partnership with a world leading information technology giant, NIIT, where 200 youths will be empowered on various courses ranging from Microsoft Information System, Microsoft 2010,Network A + and Multi Media.
- Refurbishment of AUD pry. School, Ado Soba, New Town pry. School 3rd Avenue, Central Pry. School 5th Avenue, 512 Pry. School 5thAvenue, 2nd Avenue Pry. School, Ideal Primary School 3rd avenue, 7th Avenue Pry. School and UPE pry. School.
- Constructions of boreholes & modern prototype toilets at AUD pry. School Ado Soba, New Town Pry. School, 3rd Avenue, Central Pry. School 5th Av, 512 Pry. School 5thAvenue, 2nd Avenue Pry. School, Ideal Primary School 3rd avenue, 7th Avenue Pry School, UPE Pry School 3rd Avenue, LA Primary School, Igbologun, and RCM Primary School, Igbologun.
- Presently, the construction of 3 blocks of classrooms at UPE primary school 3rd avenue, Festac Town is in its advanced stage.
- To give out free GCE forms and to provide 500 life jackets to students at the riverine as well as to give out 7,000 school bags.
Distinguished, the government has done its own part by providing near conducive environment, it is therefore my hope that all your efforts at this preliminary stage of the competition must be to give us your best, in order to emerge winners that will represent us at the Grand finale.
English Language is Nigeria’s lingua franca that is why we expect all of you to master it by being able to spell its words properly.
You are the best from your various schools out of which we shall know who will represent the Primary and Secondary Schools.
Our judges, time keepers and recorders are ready to begin the competition.
It is expected that they shall allow this event to flow without any reason to question their judgments and decisions.
In conclusion, I thank all of you for coming and may the best candidates win the competition.
Comrade Ayodele Adewale
Amuwo Odofin Local Government.